Subject: [Leica] Re: the dynamic range of digital
From: schneiderpix at mac.com (Robert Schneider)
Date: Wed Sep 20 13:04:45 2006

Doug Herr wrote:

B.D., go back to photography 101.  All I'm doing is calibrating my
technique to get optimum output from a particular piece of
equipment.  The
exact same thing we used to do with a film camera.

--------------------------

I wouldn't have wasted my time in this slap fight if that is what
Doug Herr had actually said.  What he said that caught my attention was:

 >> I typically set the DMR to underexpose 1/2 to 1 stop (RAW files)
and I
 >> rarely if ever see clipping at either end of the histogram.

To repeat -- "I typically set the DMR to underexpose. . ."  Setting a
camera to underexpose is NOT the same as dialing in negative exposure
compensation.  Negative EV compensation, as has been referenced in
this thread as Doug ultimately clarified, corrects for the errors in
metering and histogram representation in the camera.  It may or may
not be "underexposure" but apparently what Doug was referring to was
correcting his histogram through negative EV compensation.

Instead of throwing a hissy fit, WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY SO IN THE FIRST
PLACE!

Jeez. . .

rs

I am SO done here.