Subject: [Leica] Who needs a M8 when you have a Nikon D200?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Sep 26 07:14:29 2006

On 9/26/06 7:36 AM, "Didier Ludwig" <rangefinder@screengang.com> typed:

> Difficult to say what's sharper, the lens, the dagger or the woman ;-)
> D200 is good. Now put the 105/2.5 Nikkor on your wishlist as for the wide
> side
> you have rangefinders. I have given mine to my brother who uses it on a
> Fuji
> S3 pro: http://tinyurl.com/qawxb - another clear case of classic signature.
> Didier
>

>> So I got tired of all these talks about the barely functional M8 and
>> picked
>> up a real
>> camera, a Nikon D200 with the legendary 50/1.4 AIS lens. With a 1.5 crop
>> factor,
>> it makes a nice portrait lens:
>> http://www.dragonsgate.net/pub/richard/PICS/_EPS1973.jpg
>> You can see the classic signature of the lens quite clearly.
>> // richard

A shot like that though in Nikon glass asks for the 105 2.8 not 2.5!!
The 2.8 is the macro.
A much heavier lens. Less of a carry around lens than the almost minute
depending on the version 2.5.
I just got another 2.5 circa early 80s for chump change, may have been less
that 100 bucks used for its compactness and its a classic of course.
The fact that there are so many more of them out there than the
LEICA APO-MACRO-ELMARIT-R 100 mm f/2.8  make them in a way more of a classic
in some way.. Its not like everybody had those in the 70s an 80s but its not
as if everybody didn't WISH THEY DID.
But back there it was an f4 so it had less general photography value.
Relatively speaking it went to 2.8 much more recently than the Nikon macro
did.
I did scores of shoots on my white backdrop with the Nikon 2.5 on my color
body and the 2.8 macro on the black and white. Or visa versa I forgot.,

http://www.leica-camera.us/assets/image/related/related-link-e462f0a152561a8
96871295aa4fa9fc0-2.png

Mark Rabiner

40?40'16.74"N ? 73?57'34.34"W
Eastern Pky, Prospect Park
Brooklyn NY 11238

http://rabinergroup.com/

Stay tuned next week for markrabiner.com