Subject: [Leica] A digital camera without.....
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Sep 26 19:23:57 2006

David Rodgers offered:

> 1) no chimping. My first reaction after snapping the shutter on any
> digital camera is to look at the screen to see if I "got it"! The irony
> of that is that if I didn't get it I probably just wasted a second
> opportunity because I was too busy looking at the LCD. And so what if I
> didn't get it? What are my options? Unless I can fly around the world at
> the speed of light and turn back time, it's too late. What time I might
> have had I just wasted...chimping. <<<<

Hi David,
Chimping in most cases is without a doubt a terrible waste of picture taking
time, unless one is a professional and in need of immediate transmission.

We constantly see amateurs doing this after every picture and it becomes a
damn useless habit. Not that I haven't done my fair share of it, certainly
in the beginning when I was, as most folks, blown away with being able to
see the exposure immediately.:-)

But I found, as I'm sure you have...  the better shot is missed sometimes
because of this mannerism. So one must use self discipline and avoid doing
it unless absolutely necessary.... and doing it after every shot doesn't
mean necessarily!

When I'm shooting I carry on just as though it were film and eventually when
I get a break I do a quick search and destroy on the screen!;-) But shooting
in most cases is done and over with. Concerns about filling a card is
nonsense because if one uses 2G cards in most cases it's hardly going to be
filled in a short few hours.

Today amongst news guys when there's a break and most are doing some form of
"chimping" everyone has their head and eyes down on the screen, one of the
smart asses will yell out... "Oh WOW look at that!!! And everyone panics as
they look up and the SA yells out... "Oh too bad you guys missed it!" :-)
:-)

It's all about self discipline in keeping it under control.

ted