Subject: [Leica] Re: New Leica varifinder is rather huge
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Sep 28 07:21:47 2006

Colin J offered:

> David,
>
> The new finder is too huge and I predict it will be major disincentive for
> buyers of the new wide angle Tri-Elmar.
>
> If using the new Tri-Elmar with the M8, you can use the much more compact
> current finder 21-24-28mm.  This gives the exact angle of view for the
> 16-18-21mm Tri-Elmar on the M8.
>
> But this solution does not work for the M film bodies.  You could use
> separate finders for the focal lengths 16mm (Contax available) and 21mm
> (Leica, Voigtlander, Zeiss Ikon, Contax available) but I do not know of an
> 18mm finder.<<<<<

Hi Colin,
>You could use separate finders for the focal lengths 16mm (Contax
>available) and 21mm (Leica, Voigtlander, Zeiss Ikon, Contax available) but
>I do not know of an 18mm finder.<

As far as a separate finder for an 18mm lens on the M8 it's never so
accurate as looking through an SLR. Not that they are absolutely 100%
perfect either, well some maybe.  And for a couple of mm's on either side of
18mm one makes it KISS simple....... you wing it with either the 21mm or
16mm or 15mm.

I sure as heck wouldn't get concerned about how accurate the view finder was
in this case.

Besides I nearly choked on the "monster" of a tri-Elmar viewfinder!!!! I
can't imagine such a piece of equipment sticking up that wouldn't sooner or
later get smashed, bent or broken off during an assignment.Idiocy of design!

Probably fine on a work bench! In the field of shooting locations??????????

ted

Replies: Reply from photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Philip Forrest) ([Leica] Re: New Leica varifinder is rather huge)
Reply from leicaluvr at comcast.net (Tom Schofield) ([Leica] Re: New Leica varifinder is rather huge)