Subject: [Leica] Salgado and Illy Coffee OT a bit
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Fri Sep 29 14:58:37 2006

On 29 Sep 2006 at 16:00, Tina Manley wrote:

> At 12:11 PM 9/29/2006, you wrote:
> >Flame me all you want but I realized two things - consumption has
> >replaced democracy, and the image is the driving force behind
> >consumption.  It's all so rude.
> >
> >Chris Saganich - not happy with the world these days.
>
> I can understand your feelings, Chris, but that's what's happened to
> documentary photography today.  It's impossible to make a living just
> doing documentary work.  You have to sell it somehow,
> somewhere.  Salgado doesn't have to worry about that, I'm sure, but
> the rest of us do.

He may, too... wasn't he doing annual reports a couple of years ago?
Volvo, I think, and a couple of others?  I know Magnum has a bunch of
shooters who more or less specialize in shoot-to-order and
commissioned commercial work - they're the guys who keep the bills
paid while the documentarians are out saving the world.

Unfortunately, nobody who records the kind of things Salgado does is
going to have a patron supporting him for the "greater good" the way
someone doing celebrity or ideology asskissing would, and  doing what
he does the way he does it is not cheap.  I think I read somewhere
that he doesn't generally charge nonprofits for usage, either.

--

R. Clayton McKee                           http://www.rcmckee.com
Photojournalist                               rcmckee@rcmckee.com

Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Salgado and Illy Coffee OT a bit)