Subject: [Leica] birds
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Sat Sep 30 07:38:28 2006

Sonny,

Not only a terrific photo of healthy comb, lobe and wattles on the rooster
(you absolutely nailed the color) but the pullets look great too. You even
captured their expressions. Pullets always look nervous and these are
obviously a bit unsure of your intensions. The rooster has that "bring it
on!" look. Very cocky! All look deserving of a blue ribbon.

My dad was a Professor of Animal Science in the UC system and he was asked
to judge livestock and produce at many Country Fairs during the summers. (I
have vivid memories as a very young kid going to the Del Norte Country Fair
on the North Coast of California the year before and after the quake of '64
caused a Tsunami to hit Crescent City. Wish I'd been old enough to
photograph).

Since I can't see the entire birds I can only guess. Rhode Island Reds? Or
maybe a variety of Bantam. How well do you know your chicken breeds?

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/poultry/chickens/index.htm

Check out the Naked Neck Turkens and Black-Breasted Red Games.

I always admired Foghorn Leghorn.

daveR