Subject: [Leica] birds
From: SonC at aol.com (SonC@aol.com)
Date: Sat Sep 30 09:04:51 2006

In a message dated 9/30/2006 9:38:56 A.M.  Central Daylight Time,
drodgers@casefarms.com  writes:

http://www.sonc.com/poultry.htm
Rhode Island Reds? Or maybe a  variety of Bantam. How well do you know your
chicken  breeds?
--------------------------------
I know much more about killing,  cooking and eating chickens than I do about
their breeds. My Mom was reared on a  farm in rural North Louisiana, and I
would spend summers there.

My  favorite trick was to come back from the fields from working with my
grandfather, and telling my Gram-ma that Paw-paw said to "kill us a fried
chicken."

She would grumble, put a pot of hot water on a fire outside,  and we'd go
stalk a victim.  She was a pretty good sized woman, and she'd  grab one, and
give
it a couple of flips with her wrist, and it would be flopping  around.  We
dip it into the hot water, pluck it and clean it, then go in  and fry it up.

There was no breading, just flour and salt and  pepper fried slowly in a
black skillet in a half-inch of melted  lard.

Surprisingly, chicken cooked this way is very tender and not at all  greasy.

I think too that true free ranging chickens like those had far  less fat
than
the ones we usually buy in groceries today.

The supermarket  here occasionally has "natural" chickens, and although
pricey, seem to lose less  weight in cooking than the mass produced versions.

My favorite way of  cooking them now is to butterfly it whole, and bake it
slowly with just salt,  pepper and garlic powder on a bed of sliced onions,
having drizzled some EVOO  over it.

Next comes okra chicken gumbo.

I'm not too  high on Popeye's or KFC, because both seem to be mostly about
the coatings, and  by the time you get to the chicken, it is pretty bland.
always  wondered how Popeye's would be with their spices and fried straight
without the  batter.

Oh, yeah, you had a question.  I think it must have been a  Red, because he
stood about 18 inches tall.  My grandmother usually kept a  few "banties,"
mostly for the curiosity I  think.

Regards,
Sonny
http://www.sonc.com
Natchitoches, Louisiana
?galit?, libert?, crawfish

Replies: Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] birds)