Subject: [Leica] OT- for Rei: Fuji F30
From: wrs111445 at yahoo.com (Bill Smith)
Date: Sat Sep 30 08:02:31 2006

Rei:

  Are you still in love w/ your F30?

  Thanks,

  Bill

Rei Shinozuka <shino@panix.com> wrote:
  i tend to like bulking too.

my early experiences with the leica were unpleasantly similar to yours.
the bottom-loading leica makes for a particularly viscious experience
removing film broken free from the cartridge spool and tightly packed
around the camera's tulip spool.

i've had the best luck bulking by trimming the last inch of the film end
into a strip that fits into the slot of the film spool and punching a hole

---
/ \
/ O \
/ \
| |
| |
| |

to catch the tab within the slot. then add some beige packing tape wrapped
around both sides of the film end, largely to make sure the film
can't come off the tab (which it can without help). the packing tape
is strong, sticky and wide. in the end, the stress from pulling the film
off the spool is taken up by the film itself and unless you pull with such
force to tear the film, it won't come loose from the rewind spool.

-rei

--
Rei Shinozuka shino@panix.com
Ridgewood, New Jersey