Subject: [Leica] PAW Film and Bokeh
From: jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier)
Date: Sat Oct 7 15:12:29 2006

Hi Jim,

The fourth generation 35/2 is indeed justifiable famous for its boke.
However, it is its wonderfully smooth transitions in the f8 to f4
range, when focused in the mid-range, that has made its reputation.
While your photo is a fine illustration of the lens's wide open boke,
it is not what the lens is famous for. I must confess that I do not
particularly care for the boke of the lens wide open. I prefer the
close focused, wide open boke of Summilux-Asph. A bit of a mixed bag
of a lens with the boke all over the map depending on aperture and
focus distance. While the fourth gen 35/2 is more consistent through
its range than the Summilux Asph, it tends to fall apart wide-open.
Some claim the last of the production run were better wide open
though that might be the German effect rather than fact.

All of which is completely immaterial if you are happy with its
results. Boke likes and dislikes are completely subjective (as long
as it isn't the nasty double line stuff -- gack, that makes me ill).

John Collier

Replies: Reply from richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard) ([Leica] PAW Film and Bokeh)