Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 33, Issue 80
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sun Oct 8 08:33:47 2006

On Oct 8, 2006, at 11:15 AM, lug-request@leica-users.org wrote:

> A link will help generate traffic: I can say that I'm a MAC user, and
> as I am being dragged into the digital age, the DEMANDS that it
> places on the computer are great: I would say that in a year or so,
> you will be hungry for more computing power.
>
> As an example, I've been scanning my slides, and the 2x 250gig drives
> are now full. I have just bought 2x extra 300 gig drives and ordered
> the next 2 drives: as soon as you being enjoying the beauty of RAW,
> you begin to need BIG storage capacity OR a hell of a lot of extra
> TIME to sort compress and file: time is not my big option, so
> gigabytes will have to be

Madness lies in buying more and bigger drives to store your RAW
files. Eventually a drive will fail. They all do. And you will lose
the precious files saved on that drive. Burn copies of your RAW files
on high quality CDs or DVDs immediately after they are loaded. Make
several copies and store at least one in a cool dark place. Then
erase the camera memory chip and perhaps even the disc drive. Don't
wait until disaster strikes to BACKUP. BACKUP is better than Prozac
for peace of mind.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] Back up back up back up)
Reply from clive.moss at gmail.com (Clive Moss) ([Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 33, Issue 80)