Subject: [Leica] Jeffery PAW - 34 - Using the new 50/1.5 Sonnar
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon Oct 9 00:04:23 2006

Jeffery:  Ooh, yeah!  That's the "good" Sonnar look all right.  If you'd
told us the photo was a oldie from 1935 you'd just dug up, it would have
been plausible.

But there's something new about this lens, at least in the picture you
posted.  The out-of-focus stuff kind of dissolves away beautifully like the
old Sonnars, but without bright-rimmed circles of light and double lines
you see in the Japanese Sonnar reformulations like the 50/1.4 Nikkor when
focused close and wide open.  Those nasties seem smoothed out, while the
lens still has the basic Sonnar character.  If it can render like this
consistently, it's a gem.

Did the German Sonnars you've tried have the double-line and donut
bokeh?  Or was it just the postwar Japanese tweaks of the formula?  Have
you tried the early-50s Canon 50/1.5, which is supposed to be essentially a
Sonnar copy?

On another subject:  While reading your blog, I saw your comments about the
K100D and 30/1.4 Sigma.  Some days, when my M8 lust is tempered by thoughts
of price, I get the urge to just get a K100D and a fast lens, and be done
with it for a year or two.  Of course, the K10D might be even better, blah
blah blah. . .  Any further thoughts about the K100D and Sigma 30/1.4 since
you wrote that blog entry?

--Peter

Replies: Reply from jsmith342 at cox.net (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] Jeffery PAW - 34 - Using the new 50/1.5 Sonnar)