Subject: [Leica] Vastly OT: Kippered Herring
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Fri Oct 13 13:12:27 2006

Now you guys are talking business. I love all manner of herring, and it
is one of the few Northern European foods that is truly better here than
anywhere else. Having grown up in Denmark, I have a strong preference
for Danish herring in curry sauce, and I buy some whenever I go there
(for some strange reason, only Swedish ones are sold here in the
Netherlands, and those are vastly inferior).

But the real stuff are the matjes herrings, a Dutch specialty which is
simply fantastic. I only eat them in season, starting in late spring,
and only those bought at local markets. The supermarket ones are a
fraudulent attempt at faking the real thing.

And I happen to live close to the Ijsselmeer, the source of nice eel,
which the Dutch fishmongers smoke expertly. Yummy!

The matjes and the smoked eel are IMO the best the Netherlands has to
offer in terms of native food. Of course the real national dish here is
the Indonesian rijstafel--thank God for the colonial past ;-)

Nathan

--
Nathan Wajsman
Almere, The Netherlands