Subject: [Leica] Re: Marines - Full Metal Jacket
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Fri Oct 13 15:57:08 2006

At 06:16 PM 10/13/2006, Lawrence Zeitlin wrote:

>Now I prefer to do all my shooting with a Leica, but I also know that
>I can shoot a bullet lengthwise through a cigarette at a distance of
>50 ft. At least I could 50 years ago.

Shucks.  I still can and do so on occasion.  I
just discovered that my wife had come into my
life equipped with a Remington 700 in .22-250, a
round I have never fired -- the rifle has been
sitting in a closet for years.  Once I get that
horrid Tasco riflescope replaced with a decent
Docter Optic unit or the like, I'll take it out
and give it a try.  That round is more vicious
than the 5.56mm round used in the M16.

I generally scored EXPERT in my military
qualification firing on both rifle and pistol,
though I bolluxed this down to SHARPSHOOTER a
couple of times when I needed new glasses.  I am
not an especially good shot but I had great
training from the coach of our High School Rifle
Team when I was in the Boy Scouts.  (For that
matter, I ended up firing weapons up to 155mm
howitzers, but the Big Guns require a different
approach than do rifles and handguns.)

There are similar techniques mandated for the
firing of guns and of camera shutters.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!