Subject: [Leica] Visoflex on MP (II or III, bellows or....)
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Tue Oct 17 14:01:38 2006

At 03:45 PM 10/17/2006, Walt Johnson wrote:
>Ralph
>Leicas are great for some things but close-ups
>aren't it  I guess it depends on what you really
>pursue but for getting serious about getting
>close Nikon wets all over the Leitz guys. Why
>not just throw an F3/ Micro Nikkor  in your bag
>for those times when $$$ talks and nostalgia is for afterward?
>
>Just curious

Walt

With respect, I must dissent.  The Visoflex
system, from the first PLOOT of 1936 to the final
Visoflex III of 1984, represented an elegant
extension of the basic RF principle to allow it
to conduct close-up and really long-focus
applications:  it was originally intended as a
scientific apparatus and as an item for
photo-journalists.  The Visoflex system first
came out when there just were not any SLR's on
the market with such capabilities, and it only
faded when quality SLR's became available which
offered similar technical utility -- the Contarex
was probably the best of these, but even a Canon
F1 had a slew of the sort of doodads necessary to
make a camera of use in a laboratory.

The number of adapters and accessories available
over the half-century life of the system is
simply stunning:  I have been slowly compiling a
master list of these for the past decade and am
only part-way through it -- I have to pick up a
bunch of Leitz microscope catalogues as many of
the adapters were only sold through Leitz
scientific outlets and were not listed in the
camera-store pricelists.  (The same is true of
Zeiss and Zeiss Ikon, incidentally, and some of
the most useful items for macrophotography, such
as the Luminar lenses, were not sold through
Zeiss Ikon dealers but were only available from Carl Zeiss scientific
outlets.)

The Visoflex is useful if you are not into
SLR's.  I have some SLR's but almost never use
them, as the Leica RF is my basic camera.  Thus,
a Visoflex makes sense for me.  It would make far
less sense for someone who already has an
extensive Nikon or Canon or the like SLR system at hand.

Macro lenses are really neat and eBay has brought
a LOT of these onto the market at really
reasonable prices:  the days when the mystic name
"Luminar" demanded $500 or more of freight are
days of the past -- I paid $35 for one Luminar on
eBay, and $75 for another.  I have a complete set
of Luminars, most of the Leitz Photars and Carl
Zeiss Jena Mikrotars, and some of the Leitz
Micro-Summars and Milars, the B&L Micro-Tessars,
and the Staeble Katagons.  These guys are a LOT
of fun to use, as they are microscope objectives
converted to photographic uses and are optically
superb, albeit they have no appreciable depth of field.

Thus, I can go from a 16mm Luminar which allows
me a 10:1 or so reproduction ratio with the
Bellows II up to a 2600mm telephoto with my
Questar or even longer on my Celestar, albeit the
latter is a bit clumsy for field use!  (My
personal choice is that wonderful 5/40cm Telyt-V
for most purposes, as this is a really grand
lens.)  I generally use my M6 as, yes, inbuilt
metering makes macro and long-focus photography a LOT easier!

To be honest, I generally do macro work with a
Hasselblad 2000 FCM on chrome films.  There is
nothing quite as dramatic as projecting a
medium-format slide of, say, the engraving on a lens ring or the like.

For BASIC close-up work, I would recommend a
Bellows II, a Viso IIa M or Viso III, and a 4/9cm
lenshead.  That allows decent close-ups but is not a bank-buster.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Visoflex on MP (II or III, bellows or....))