Subject: [Leica] Re: Gun hostility, very much OT
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Fri Oct 20 09:46:04 2006

The expressed hostility toward guns is of comparatively recent origin
in the US. Where I grew up in the rural Midwest every family owned
one or more guns, usually a shotgun and a small bore rifle. For a
while the Red Ryder BB gun was the most sought after Christmas
present in Indiana and Illinois. Young boys started out with BB guns
at the age of 8 or so and graduated to 22s by their twelfth birthday.
Boxes of 22 bullets cost 50 cents and were sold in every drugstore.
It was a rural coming of age ceremony.

Guns were part of American culture and history. Less than half a
century had elapsed since the closing of the frontier and only a
couple of decades since the end of the Great War. It was considered
patriotic for all young men to learn to shoot. Gun ownership was
clearly the secret to military preparedness. Men could come off the
farm proficient in firearms. What enemy would dare to attack a well
armed citizenry. Boy Scout camps taught gun handling. Every high
school in a small town had a rifle team. Farmers paid teen agers to
shoot crows in their cornfields. The annual deer or turkey hunt was
essential to a well fed holiday season. The NRA was a respected
organization, not the butt of late night comic jokes.

But then the bulk of the US population became urban. Guns were the
tools of bad guys. War was conducted with tanks and airplanes. Bambi
was a runaway movie hit. Too many presidents were assassinated or
nearly assassinated and Moses led the NRA. People who had never
handled guns developed an unreasoning fear of the unknown.

The rate of gun ownership correlates poorly with the amount of social
violence in any culture. Here is an excerpt from a short book I wrote
a few years back about the experience of a Hoosier living in the UK.

If you read the glossy travel brochures you might think that Britain
is an island overflowing with peace and tranquility. How untrue. The
newspapers and TV newscasts are fond of derogating the USA but they
seem to be stuck in a vision of Prohibition era Chicago with junior
league Al Capones shooting up the neighborhood and the Mafia running
the corner pizza parlor. The Columbine school shooting is a case in
point. Rather than treating the problem as a case of uncontrolled
high school angst that needed a lot of parental attention and some
hands on school supervision, it was all blamed on the US Constitution
and the National Rifle Association. Britain has the moral high ground
here. They banned hand guns after a similar shooting a few years ago.
What the papers didn't mention was that the murder rate in some parts
of Britain is almost as high as that in the US except that the
weapons of choice are cricket bats, broken Guinness bottles and
assorted blunt objects.

        Last week Britain's most popular female TV host, Jill Dando, was
murdered in front of her London home by an, as yet, unidentified hit
man. It was as if Katie Couric had been bumped off leaving the beauty
parlor. The nation involved itself in an orgy of mourning. It was
Princess Diana?s demise revisited. BBC flags flew at half staff.
Parliament declared a day off. Flower sellers rejoiced.

        There were also three bombings in London's minority districts last
week. A neo-Nazi group claimed credit for the nail bombs which
exploded in Black, Bangladeshi, and gay neighborhoods, killing three
members of a wedding party and wounding dozens. While the papers
couldn't blame this on the lack of US gun control laws, they pointed
the accusing finger at the Internet. It seems that survival fanatics
living in Montana have posted plans for bomb making. To prove their
point, the papers reprinted detailed instructions on how to make the
terrorist bombs. All it takes is the powder from a box of shotgun
shells poured into a pipe, a cheap alarm clock as a timer, and a bag
of hardware store nails. Easy. Any child can do it. And given the
detailed information in the papers, one probably will. Even without
the Internet.

        The British don?t need guns or bombs to kill people. Syringes will
do just fine. Dr. Harold Shipman, a general practitioner, was just
indicted for killing three hundred of his patients. Not through
malpractice but through cupidity. Dr. Shipman had his elderly
patients sign over their property to him for safekeeping. Soon after,
the patients took a turn for the worse and died in their beds with
Dr. Shipman in attendance at the final moments. A journalist took the
time to calculate that Dr. Shipman was singlehandedly responsible for
more deaths than all of Britain?s serial killers combined.

        England (not Wales) has twice the rate of property crime as the US
and four times the rate of auto theft. In central London the
probability of finding your car radio still in the car after a night
parked on the street is roughly the same as winning the lottery. That
is if you are lucky enough to find the car. Most cars are sold with
"immobilizers", little devices which enable you to disable a vital
portion of the ignition circuitry when you park. Armored steering
wheel covers are a big seller. These are jimmy proof steel pie plates
that cover the entire wheel and prevent it from being turned.

        The only statement not blaming the US for Britain's wave of violent
crime was an editorial in the London Times which suggested that if
tough gun laws were the only answer, then Washington D.C. would be
the safest place in the US. In fact, they pointed out, the safest
places are Vermont and New Hampshire, both states with the highest
percentage of gun ownership in the country. Perhaps, the editorial
suggested, the stratospheric crime rate in Britain is because there
are too few guns. If home owners felt that they had a moral
obligation to shoot housebreakers and thieves it might convince a few
bad guys to think twice. Then Britons too could leave doors and cars
unlocked - just like in Vermont. The NRA would have rejoiced.

Kyle, keep up the good work.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Re: Gun hostility, very much OT)