Subject: [Leica] Do It Yourself Books
From: enitka1 at comcast.net (e. nitka)
Date: Fri Oct 20 14:44:44 2006

Despite being a good for nothing total amateur photographer I can
report that I've used two self publishing firms

lulu.com and more recently blurb.com.

Lulu does not give you prepopulated templates but this is also nice
to be able to do your own design work.  I use In Design that I bought
thru my son's academic discount and upload PDF file to Lulu. If you
don't have access to PDF conversion then I'd point you in the
direction of blurb.com - LULU has a service for taking your document
and making it PDF but also for a fee.

  Lulu I don't believe has a hardcover or dust jacket option whereas
Blurb does hardcover only for now and nice dustjackets.  Lulu has a
nice set up for selling books and will for a fee get you book
copyright and ISDN number which as we all know really makes the
photographs sparkle :)

Overall the quality is about the same.  This years' book "Are we
having Fun - 2006"  I've had one copy published with both vendors and
have concluded that its about the same quality.Cost wise the
softbound books are cheaper than the hardcover - no suprise
there.  Delivery was prompt with both.

http://www.lulu.com/content/174749

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/search?search=nitka

are my books and if you have a burning desire to see the product and
verify that I AM an amateur photog. please buy and see for your self :)

ernie