Subject: [Leica] Some questions and thoughts about the M8
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Nov 2 06:29:00 2006

Nathan gave a very simple manner in which to use a digital camera;

>> The point about all those settings and menu items is that
> you do not NEED to fiddle with them. When I bought my current DSLR last
> year, I spent an hour or so looking at the manual and setting up the
> camera as I liked it (shoot RAW, auto white balance, use only the center
> focus point etc.) and I have left these settings alone ever since. <<<

As I've said on many occasions "KISS" operation and digital doesn't have to
change ones mind nor develop fears of fiddling and fooling around
constantly. Hey there are film users who constantly try, test and heaven
knows whatever else all kinds of film and never improve their ability as a
photographer. They think too much!

The bottom line for me with film has always been use the same film to death
under every possible condition so you pretty well know exactly what you'll
get without thought.......... Keep it simple stupid is the motto.

Basically shooting digital isn't any different than film. WHY? Well the "
Essence of photography does not change!" Sure there are a few neat digital
things everyone gets hully gully over, but one doesn't have to knock
themselves out learning all the technical aspects to shoot good photographs
to have most pleasing results. Just learn and use the most important bits
for your style of picture taking then close the book and get yer ass in
gear! ;-)

The M8 for example wasn't any different than handling M camera's over the
past 50 years. Yep I was a tad surprised how well it felt the same as my
late M7's. A touch smoothie in feel but quickly forgotten as soon as you
were into shooting mode.

It was "loaded" so to speak, not film but a card, flick on switch, similar
to M7 lock switch, eye to view finder and away I went without the least
moment of concern nor thought it was digital. WHY? Because the end result
content of the photograph is the most important element and that sure as
heck hasn't changed because one is recording their photo moments on a
different medium.

For many of you..... get over it, it's just another metal and glass thing in
your hands and it's only your expertise that see's the moment!

Here I go again..... "Ease up on the numbers" you don't need to know them
all at once instantly! So for heaven sake just use it like any other camera
and have fun. Even if one is a pro it should still have the element of fun
and excitement, because if it doesn't, why the heck are you spending money
by the bucketful and not having a good feeling about what your doing and
making yourself feel good at the end results?

Just some random thoughts, now get out there and shoot.... film or digital,
but have fun!

Oh yeah one final thing..... ease up on all the constant comparison stuff
digital - film. ;-) ;-) Rarely does it change anything so why not do
something you like .......... go take pictures !:-)

ted