Subject: [Leica] Re:M8 DNG vs DMR DNG
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Fri Nov 3 10:28:05 2006

For the last couple of years my employer has been a nonprofit devoted to
preventing commercialization of critical open standards. I spend a lot of
time on this issue.

The critical issue on an "open standard" is not whether it is published, but
who is allowed to change it. Or, to be really precise, who decides who is
allowed to change it.

DNG will not meet the test of being an open standard until control of
changes to the DNS specification is in the hands of a public consortium in
which no single company has more than a 5% to 10% influence.

I like DNG and I use it, but I don't consider it to be an open standard. If
there is ever an open standard that has enough momentum, I will use it
instead.

Message from len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier) ([Leica] Re:M8 DNG vs DMR DNG)