Subject: [Leica] Re:M8 DNG vs DMR DNG
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Fri Nov 3 15:35:53 2006

Jayanand, I read further on the open RAW concept, that Mehrdad had linked.
It is a very interesting site. I think I now understand
the reservations that you have both expressed. I used the word open to mean
without the encryption of some data so that proprietary
software is not required. I read on the open RAW site that there is a
portion of the standard that can be used to make some data
closed. My understanding is that there is no encrypted data in the DNGs
produced by cameras using the DNG standard now. In my
opinion the DNG format offers a considerable advantage compared to any other
current RAW format. We all agree that freedom of choice
is a very good thing. I won't comment on question regarding Microsoft, since
it's hypothetical and off topic.

Cheers
Hoppy