Subject: [Leica] Re:M8 DNG vs DMR DNG
From: harrison at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary)
Date: Sat Nov 4 07:52:23 2006

Daniel Ridings wrote:
> Harrison McClary wrote:
>
>> Dealing with jpgs is more cumbersome, not as bad now that I have
>> switched to Aperture for my digital work, but still not as nice as
>> RAW workflow is.
>
> Could you expand on that Harrison? I am not expecting too much, but
> how does Aperture smooth over some of the disadvantages of working
> with jpgs?
>
> Curious minds want to know. I've always just shot RAW without giving
> anything else a thought, but I do experience the down side of RAW
> (many big files) but that has been simplified by buying a lot of
> "cheap" largish hard disks.
>
> Can Aperture help in editing a jpg file?

Daniel,

Aperture has a "non destructive" editing feature.  Your original file is
never touched or changed.  So in Aperture I can adjust levels, color,
crop, spot, convert to B&W via a channel mixer,  even print all with out
changing the original.  This is how it helps with jpg work flow.  It is
mostly the same feature set as I can use working on RAW files.  To be
able to do this and not have to "open" each file in pshop and to be able
to lift adjustments and stamp to other like images makes editing much
faster.

Now having said all that I still shoot only in RAW.  RAW is like a
negative, is a full information "dump" from the sensor allowing up to
two stops adjustment to the exposure, changing white balances and such
should you for get to do should when shooting.  It also will allow for
better results when upsizing an image should you need to do so.

--
Harrison McClary
Harrison McClary Photography

Replies: Reply from faneuil at gmail.com (Eric Korenman) ([Leica] Re:M8 DNG vs DMR DNG)