Subject: [Leica] Autumn Color/Lenses
From: amr3 at alpha1.csd.uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Wed Nov 8 16:14:43 2006

>Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 23:43:58 +0100
>From: Philippe Orlent <philippe.orlent@pandora.be>
>Subject: Re: [Leica] Autumn Color
>
>This is the first time that I read such a comprehensive description
>of why people look(ed) for a typical lens signature.
>So thanks for showing,
>Philippe

You're welcome.  For years, I've been interested in how lenses differ.  And
I've bee particularly interested in forms of diffusion. I know that's
heresy in a Leica group, but Leitz DID make the Thambar.  I love the
"plasticity" that the Hollywood cameramen achieved with various lenses such
as the Taylor, Taylor, and Hobson Speed Panchro, or what they did with
filters.  Or the look the glamour photographers got with Veritos, Pinkham &
Smiths, and Aldis objectives, etc.

 Once, I did comparative shots of a mannikin with LTM lenses - 85mm f/2
Nikkor, 85mm f/1.5 Lithagon, 90mm f/4 Elmar, and 73mm  Hektor.  I could see
the differences in how various parts of the image were rendered; and I
could decide which lens(es) I liked best for this use.  Another series
compared straight 135mm 4.5 Hektor, Hektor with DUTO filters #0 and #1, and
Hektor with a piece of window screen over it, against my "Velmar".  The
Velmar gave the smoothest transitions between tones and was the most
pleasing (to me).

I love nice sharp lenses, too, but I think it's fun to have a variety of
options available for differing subjects.

Alan  B^]

Alan Magayne-Roshak
Senior Photographer
Photo Services