Subject: [Leica] M8 magenta problems - Leica offer a solution
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Wed Nov 8 19:32:43 2006

Here is a shorter link ...

http://tinyurl.com/y4b54n

The strange issue on this filter thing is this statement by Leica....

" The filter is supplied as an accessory with a special firmware adjustment,
which will be available shortly after the planned
market launch of the camera at the end of November 2006.

The IR/UV filter is only suitable for use with digital M cameras and 6-bit
coded lenses."

V1.whatever of the firmware is now scheduled for November.....

Why is a coded lens required to get any effect at all?  Is this marketing BS
or is the coding really doing something in the camera
firmware?  Or the download SW?  VERY interesting......

And finally, pure Marketing BS:
" The use of the additional IR filter in front of the optical system has big
advantages, as the filter does not create reflections
inside the optical system. This enables the reproduction of the finest tonal
values even in shadows."

The statements I have quoted are from the WEB page noted.  The whole thing
may be false, badly or wrongly interpreted, or just plain
true.  Only if Leica comes out with an official statement will we be
sure.... but I certainly hope the BS statement is
misquoted.....  It reminds me of Intel when their Pentium (?) processor had
a multiplication error, and they kept saying it was not
important.... then had to replace all the processors to get the heat off
their backs.....

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

Replies: Reply from allen.graves at charter.net (Allen Graves) ([Leica] M8 magenta problems - Leica offer a solution)