Subject: [Leica] OT: Maybe dumb question on M8
From: Digiratidoc at aol.com (Digiratidoc@aol.com)
Date: Fri Nov 10 19:05:08 2006

But I bet we've all been caught in a rain storm in sandals when we wish we
were wearing our boots!

Not all of us can afford to own an M8 AND an R8 AND a Pentax DSLR, and if we
could how many of us would want to schlepp 3 cameras around all the time.

Over the years Leica has a history of creating ways to somehow work around
the limitations of the RF, e.g. the DR Summicron, the Visoflex system, and
of
late the 90mm Macro-Elmar. And now they create what may be a brilliant
digital
camera, the M8, and have the opportunity to make it much more flexible and
usefull by including a live view LCD which would essentially make all those
*workarounds* unnecessary and...they don't. (Maybe that's why they didn't,
they want
to sell those Macro-Elmars!)

Olympus designed a live view LCD with the E330 when they probably didn't
even
need to...it IS an SLR after all...and they had to contend with the mirror
box. It would have been a very simple matter to design one into the M8 where
it
WOULD have been a handy and usefull addition to the overall design, and it
should have been easy with all their experience with those
*Leica/Panasonics*.

I'd be willing to bet that Cosina is at this very minute designing an M8
clone that will take real Leica glass, not the *Leica/Panasonic* glass, and
includes a live view LCD. A *camera for every man*.

I will probably eventually get an M8, if the IR bugs are worked out to my
satisfaction, just so I can use my Leica glass on a quality M-based system.
But
if Leica is going to compete in the modern digital world, I think they need
create not just good cameras, but cameras that include something new,
something original and maybe brilliant. That's what Barnack did.

In a message dated 11/10/2006 5:57:18 PM Central Standard Time, SonC@aol.com