Subject: [Leica] OT: Maybe dumb question on M8
From: SonC at aol.com (SonC@aol.com)
Date: Fri Nov 10 19:34:04 2006

In a message dated 11/10/2006 9:05:34 P.M. Central Standard Time,
Digiratidoc@aol.com writes:

But I bet we've all been caught in a rain storm in sandals when we wish  we
were wearing our boots!
----I carry the boots in the car

Not all of us can afford to own an M8 AND an R8 AND a Pentax DSLR,

---That's true.  And I only have recently have been able to  afford them
all,
though I don't yet have an M8 and I have sold off some M  stuff so I can
afford the three.

and if we
could how many of us would want to schlepp 3 cameras around  all the time.

____But lots of people (not me) schlepp 3 cameras.  Ted does  more!  I
usually carry the one I expect to use.. The others are in my  car.

Over the years Leica has a history of creating ways to somehow  work around
the limitations of the RF, e.g. the DR Summicron, the Visoflex  system, and
of
late the 90mm Macro-Elmar.

__Most of those things weer a grudging response to other Manufacturer's R
cameras.  The Macro elmar is not a useful tool to most people.  I  think it
was
invented to show they could.

And now they create what may be a brilliant digital
camera, the M8,  and have the opportunity to make it much more flexible and
usefull by  including a live view LCD which would essentially make all those

*workarounds* unnecessary and...they don't.

____Those workarounds are available in a thousand cameras.

 (Maybe that's why they didn't, they want
to sell those  Macro-Elmars!)

____Yeah, I'll bet they sold at least 100 of those.

Olympus  designed a live view LCD with the E330 when they probably didn't
even
need  to...it IS an SLR after all...and they had to contend with the mirror
box.

---right elegant. though the camera is Plasticy for the price.   It has lots
of nice features

It would have been a very simple matter to design one into the M8 where  it
WOULD have been a handy and usefull addition to the overall design, and  it
should have been easy with all their experience with those
*Leica/Panasonics*.

----But, what you fail to recognize here, is that the average M user
doesn't
want this.

I'd be willing to bet that Cosina is at this very minute  designing an M8
clone that will take real Leica glass, not the  *Leica/Panasonic* glass, and
includes a live view LCD. A *camera for every  man*.

----I doubt it.

I will probably eventually get an M8, if the IR  bugs are worked out to my
satisfaction, just so I can use my Leica glass  on a quality M-based system.

-- Order now. It is gonna be fixed

But if Leica is going to compete in the modern digital world, I think  they
need to
create not just good cameras, but cameras that include  something new,
something original and maybe brilliant.

---Umm. They have never been purveyors of new, brilliant.  Just good  stuff.

That's what Barnack did.

____He had a need and made it work.  He was not original, just a  good
technician.

Regards,