Subject: [Leica] Played with an M8
From: DavidSRosen at mindspring.com (David S Rosen)
Date: Sat Nov 11 16:11:28 2006

Hi All:

I too had the chance to play with an M8 today at a Leica event.

Like others, I came away with the feeling that this was every bit an M
camera.  The leather covering was a bit slicker than I'd like, and that led
my thumb to grope even more for the absent wind lever, but in every other
way the M8 felt just like my M6s.

The shutter sounded more thunk-y to me than my other Ms, but not really
offensive or very much louder.

Ergonomics and digital controls were very nicely done.

The Leica rep at the event seemed quite well informed about the various
[scandalous] problems with the first batch of M8s.  He confirmed that they
were well known by Leica and that a fix was assured.  He suggested this
would be a firmware fix, but I think this was just speculation on his part.
Both he and the store manager also made it clear that shipping of M8s has
been suspended until the problems are corrected.  That makes sense since
there is no reason for Leica to want to put even more defective cameras out
there that will eventually need to be recalled and repaired.  I am first on
the list to receive a camera from my dealer.  I'm hoping by year end, but no
real timeline.  I also ordered a grip (new, since the tripod socket is now
centered) and one of the new 28mm lenses.

Best to all,
DSR

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Played with an M8)
Reply from leicaluvr at comcast.net (Tom Schofield) ([Leica] Played with an M8)