Subject: [Leica] Tri Motor/Ju 52
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Sat Nov 11 16:20:59 2006

Over here there are at least "Tante JUs" two flying regularly. one in
Lufthansa livery (rebuilt by air force and Lufthansa apprentices) and
one in Swiss colours.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if there weren't a few at least half ways
airworthy frames down in Spain too , the Spanish air force used them for
a long time after WWII (along with Heinkel 111 bombers and ME109s with
different engines,Hispano-Suiza and even Rolls-Royce  Merlins (Spitfire
engines )- quite a few of which starred in the movie "The Battle of
Britain").  In addition to these - if anyone feels like salvaging them -
there are a few at the bottom of a lake in, I think, Norway, lost when
the ice they were using as an airfield broke up.
There's also a nice silver finished DC-3 also flying regular round-trips
over Berlin ( The C-47, or Dakota, has a special significance for
Berlin. It's a symbol of the breaking of the blockade imposed by the
Soviet Occupation forces, pity they haven't a couple of C-54s, Avro
Yorks and Sunderland flying boats to complete the set too.
We also get regular visits from an Antonov AN2 (NV2) biplane, supposedly
used for an escape from Eastern Europe, for flights over Hannover -
talking of Antonovs - there are also some immense beasts that fly out of
Hannover to Kazakhstan (home of Borat) and the Ukraine every week (AN 22
4 prop engines, AN124 - 4 jet 400+ tonnes loaded weight, and I've heard
(literally, but not seen), an AN 225 (6 engines/600 tonnes loaded
weight) too - makes a C5 Galaxy look tiny) When I was working in
geophysical exploration we used an Antonov to take complete survey crews
with vehicles out to the Caspian - an impressive sight on the runway at
Hannover -  32 wheel landing gear!
Douglas