Subject: [Leica] Tri Motor/Ju 52
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Sat Nov 11 17:00:36 2006

At 07:20 PM 11/11/2006, Douglas Sharp wrote:
>Over here there are at least "Tante JUs" two
>flying regularly. one in Lufthansa livery
>(rebuilt by air force and Lufthansa apprentices) and one in Swiss colours.
>I wouldn't be at all surprised if there weren't
>a few at least half ways airworthy frames down
>in Spain too , the Spanish air force used them
>for a long time after WWII (along with Heinkel
>111 bombers and ME109s with different
>engines,Hispano-Suiza and even
>Rolls-Royce  Merlins (Spitfire engines )- quite
>a few of which starred in the movie "The Battle
>of Britain").  In addition to these - if anyone
>feels like salvaging them - there are a few at
>the bottom of a lake in, I think, Norway, lost
>when the ice they were using as an airfield broke up.

The Spanish Air Force used JU-52's, ME-109's, and
HE-111's as operational equipment until 1966 and
maintained a stock of them for use in war movies
into the 1980's.  These aircraft were produced
for the most part in Spain under license and all
were powered, oddly, with Rolls-Royce Merlin
engines surplus to the needs of the RAF when it
went over to jet-engined aircraft.

Spanish aircraft can be seen in a number of war
movies of the era, most notably in PATTON and THE
BATTLE OF BRITAIN.  Shots of these Spanish
HE-111's were used as the base for the Blitz
seens in THE LION, THE WITCH, AND THE WARDROBE
last year, and these computer-generated images
are generally seen as what will be the norm for
future WWII European movies.  Thus, our grandkids
who are technically acute will be raised
believing that the British were secretly
supplying the Germans with aero motors in the middle of WWII.

But, then, the actual aircraft used in THE BLUE
MAX were for the most part modern constructions,
all of which used inline Lycoming water-cooled
engines, causing a bit of strain on the ultimate
credibility of the movie.  It is still a grand movie.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Message from walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson) ([Leica] Tri Motor)