Subject: [Leica] M8: "I think it's gonna be all right"
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Thu Nov 16 23:56:30 2006

(Apologies to Lennon and McCartney for the subject line)  :-)

I don't own an M8 (yet?)  I learned a long time ago to never buy Version
1.0 of anything that contains or controls a microprocessor.   It may not be
"right," but it's a sad fact of life today that early adopters are beta
testers who are paying for the privilege.

But so far, I'm optimistic about the long-term prospects of the M8.  I base
this optimism on some very critical perusal of other people's posted
examples, including some full-sized RAW files.

At the risk of sounding glib, I have a suggestion for M8 buyers currently
in a purple-tinged funk.  Set the M8 to in-camera black and white, and
shoot it that way--at least until Leica announces its fix and
policies.    This will temporarily remove the source of irritation until
you know what the future holds.  It will also give you a chance to
appreciate the camera's good qualities without distraction.

The IR issue is a problem, yes, but we already know that it can be fixed
with an IR cut filter over the lens.  And look what you get in
return.  When I look closely at M8 files, I see edges that look like edges.
I see details that, as I magnify them, don't smear out *before* I can see
the individual pixels.  When Sean Reid says that the M8 can draw like a
medium-format film camera, believe him.   This quality is the result of no
anti-aliasing filter and a thinner-than-usual IR filter, plus great
lenses.  That IR filter needs to be thinner than in DSLRs due to the higher
angle of incidence inherent in RF lenses.

It was a real-world trade-off, and personally, I think it was a good
trade.  A filter on the lens can remove IR, but no filter can add details
removed by the camera design.  One of the things that has bothered me about
every DSLR I've tried (including the one I currently own) is that slightly
soft look that turns every fine knife-edge into a slightly blurred
gradient.  Sharpening helps, but often at the result of an artificial look
that screams "digital" to me.  If the M8's better acutance comes at the
price of needing to mount a filter on my lenses, maybe I'll decide to grin
and bear it.

How Leica handled the issue is another matter.  The M8's IR problem is
understandable from a technical standpoint.   There may have been some
"groupthink" blindness at Leica, plus a need to release the camera no
matter what due to financial and organizational issues.   Regardless, the
"magenta surprise" was bound to create Internet firestorms and conspiracy
theories once the images were out there for all to see.

Now, what's done is done.  How Leica handles the resulting anger and
apprehension will probably determine the M8's success or failure.  Rightly
or wrongly, people feel betrayed, and that is what the movie industry calls
box-office poison.  I think Leica's actions next week will be *more*
important than whether some black polyester turned purple this week.

If I were Leica, I would buy up a sizable stock of IR filters, and give
away a couple with every new M8 sold, retroactively--whether or not the
customer buys coded lenses.  I would also implement a menu-entry system for
lenses, similar to the Nikon D200.  Why?  Because the better the M8 can
handle *all* the M and LTM-mount lenses each potential customer already
owns, the better it will sell.  I suspect this will mean Leica will sell a
few less lenses next year, but they will sell many more M8s.  And they will
probably sell more lenses in the long run if the M8 is a success.

--Peter
(watching and waiting like the rest of you)

Replies: Reply from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] M8: "I think it's gonna be all right")