Subject: [Leica] OT idle curiousity and the infinite magic of software
From: shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka)
Date: Sat Nov 18 10:56:37 2006

tangentially related to some of the M8 firmware questions, but
mostly inspired by some of the casual conversations about
denoisification software, fractalification and such, i am
very curious as to how good this technology really is.
i am especially interested in how technology can improve
mediocre lenses and especially sensor noise.

as a real-world test, i have an image which pleases me on a
sentimental level, that of my daughter and cat "boy-B"
it was taken with a phenomenally excreble camera, the one in
my sidekick 3, whose greatest photographic feature was its
propinquity.    the image quality is atrotious--
almost Niepcean in decreptitude. however, underneath a foggy veil
of multicolored noise, there exists rudimentary contrast and
a hint of sharpness from which i would think it theoretically
possible to extract a snapshot of something approaching 126
film quality.

i'd love to see if any of our resident experts might demonstrate
what can be done with such an extreme example of poor
digital imaging.

Scaled-down: "Kitty and Boy-B"
http://www.shinozuka.org/IMG00159-600pix.JPG

the full image: "Kitty and Boy-B"