Subject: [Leica] It ain't alright.... "Fix it in SW"
From: hlritter at bex.net (HOWARD L RITTER)
Date: Sat Nov 18 13:30:38 2006

Frank--

The fix is not as simple as a magenta-subtracting coating. If the
problem were excessive sensitivity to a combination of visible
wavelengths that causes a magenta cast in the final interpretation of
the color balance, then that's basically irrelevant in an engineering
sense. This is a fixed proportioning, in visible colors, of the
differential responses of the individual pixels. It's just a matter
of how the numbers of electrons in the wells corresponding to the R,
G, and B pixels are interpreted in software. There are inherent
inequalities in the detective quantum efficiency of the sensor at
different wavelengths in the first place, and this differential
efficiency has to be accounted for in the camera design, either in
the particulars of the color filters over each pixel or in firmware
processing of the signal.

However, if I understand correctly, the problem is that infrared
wavelengths, which are not perceived visually and are disregarded in
any process of presentation of the final image (monitor, printer,
etc.), are inappropriately detected by the photon-detecting elements
in such proportions as to be interpreted as magenta. Thus the
recommendation of an IR filter, because this problem is, in any
rigorous or non-arbitrary way, impossible to fix in software. There
is obviously no way for any algorithm to distinguish between those
electrons in R, G, and B wells generated by photons of (visible)
wavelengths that constitute the color perceived as magenta on the one
hand and, on the other hand, those generated by IR wavelengths. And
the admixture of IR to visible differs arbitrarily from point to
point in any picture, just as the colors do, so it's not a matter of
subtracting some constant in SW.

In the first case, a separate "magenta-minus" filter or coating would
be clumsy and completely unnecessary, and a software "fix" (not a
fix, just a proper setting of engineering variables) no issue at all,
either unnecessary because of filter selection, or trivial and
inconsequential. In the second case, the addition of an IR-minus
filter is the only rigorous solution, short of technology that
results in sensors that are simply insensitive to invisible
wavelengths like IR. Apparently it is not feasible to build IR
rejection into the R/G/B pixel filters, as it is usual to build in
this function as a plate in front of the sensor, but apparently this
was optically not feasible in the case of the M8. Any software "fix"
would be a compromise that risks having arbitrary elements, and this
is why Leica recommends the inelegant filter solution.

--howard