Subject: [Leica] How to fix this image
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Sat Nov 18 17:03:11 2006

At 06:56 PM 11/18/2006, you wrote:
>I know where I'd start in the darkroom: I'd play with burning and a
>higher contrast filter pack, but how would you approach this image in
>Photoshop? How do I clean up the distant mountains without affecting
>the foreground?
>
>http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alastair/album184/
>album119/2004NepalLge9.jpg.html
>
>cheers
>
>Alastair

Alastair - Use a Layers adjustment curve.  Go to Layers on the
palette menus.  Choose the third icon on the bottom which will give
you Adustment Curves.  Fix the curve for the lightest values you
want.  Don't worry about burning out the rest.  Then set your Brush
tool with the foreground color of black.  Paint back in everything
that you wanted to be the previous values - fixing the burned out
highlights.  Flatten the layers and evaluate your photo.  You can do
this as many times as you want, using the Black to paint back the
former values and the White to restore your new values.  It's much,
much better than using Shadow/Highlight.

Hope this helps.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP, NPPA
http://www.tinamanley.com