Subject: [Leica] Comparison of M8 Photos in Infra-Red
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Sun Nov 19 23:58:18 2006

>David,
>
>It was interesting to read about your test.
>
>It gave me a much better understanding of the (then) rather cryptic
>wishes expressed by Henning: "If there ever comes a dedicated B&W M8
>with special IR sensitivity, then I will be interested" - or
>something to that effect.
>
>And I now understand that the self-induced censorship may not only
>have been confined to Michael Reichmann et al.
>
>Mads

Not at all. Nothing cryptic. Just a straightforward preference for a
specialized tool that would be better at its task than anything else
out there.

That had nothing to do with the 'magenta' IR effect. It's just that I
mostly use my M's to shoot B&W, and a dedicated B&W camera can
produced much better B&W images than one that is basically a colour
camera. No bayer pattern which means greater sensitivity and greater
resolution with less artifacts. Also the rumours suggested a higher
pixel density. A totally win-win situation for me. If it also kept
the IR sensitivity, it would be an almost ideal M camera for me.

If there had not been the slight promise of this B&W digital M, I
would have ordered and taken delivery of an M8 by now. And I would
have been happy with it. I noticed the high IR sensitivity the first
weekend I used the camera, when I took pictures at a family gathering
where someone wore a black t-shirt, which exhibited the magenta cast.
I've shot enough extended spectra stuff over the years to make the
connection, and hauled out my IR filters right away, and was
delighted with the results. I posted most of this information before,
and also wrote Stefan Daniels about the results of my testing.

At that time I didn't know what might still be done with the
firmware, but I knew it had to something pretty creative as I didn't
think that the 'colour accuracy' issue could be fixed that way.

What I sent him, in part, was this:

3. With regard to the very strong Infrared sensitivity that I've
noted; I assume that the production M8 will have the same
characteristic as that is not something that is firmware related.
That is something that I'm very interested in, as I've been shooting
infrared material for decades, and with film it's always been a huge
aggravation and cost, considering the need to always bracket. I did,
however, notice that especially under tungsten light the colour
accuracy was affected. Again, for my use that is less important than
the useability in the infrared region. Please keep the infrared
sensitivity.

The only thing is that I got the camera fairly late in day, in that
what was presented was that the camera was final in its physical
form, and only the firmware had yet to be finalized (version 0.23).
So the information I sent Stefan Daniels definitely got to him too
late to change much. He could have maybe gotten his superiors to
delay the launch at that point, but not much else. He must have known
about the spectral response before. In any case, at that time the
inertia of the whole thing would probably have been immense.

I still feel the same way, and would rather use hot filters over the
lenses than compromise the IR sensitivity. Obviously, I'm in the
minority in this.

I'm not a wedding photographer, nor fashion photographer, nor any of
the other areas were the use of a hot filter is a big pain and/or a
ridiculous expense on top of an already overly expensive camera. My
use, and particularly the B&W use would not be adversely affected by
good IR response.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design