Subject: [Leica] LHSA incompetence
From: summicron at jam.rr.com (Frank F. Farmer)
Date: Wed Nov 22 17:00:59 2006

Dave,

I think you're exactly right about the LHSA.  I believe we met at the
Spring Shoot in New Orleans (didn't you have a recently painted M3?)
and I was probably the youngest person there.  I think I was 29 at the
time.

There have been several movements over the years that I've been a
member that hoped to attract the younger set.  Of course, the bulk of
these revolved around removing "historical" from the name in an attempt
to shift to a more centered position of collectors AND users.
Obviously, the name never changed.  I don't really think that changing
the name will accomplish anything anyway.

The main problem is economic.  Younger folks are usually not in the
position to purchase a camera body that costs $3,500 to $4,500.  The
society is probably in much the same situation that Leica finds itself
in -- the cost of entry is pretty high.  There is one difference
though, the LHSA doesn't really have new and exciting product to offer
its new members.  Notwithstanding the meetings and a magazine primarily
devoted to little known Leica facts and comparisons of lenses that are
30 years old.

Now, don't get me wrong, I do look forward to receiving my issue of
Viewfinder Magazine and I will be renewing my membership.  I also
enjoyed meeting and talking with the folks who attended the Spring
Shoot in the Big Easy (it was the first time I'd ever actually taken a
tour of the Quarter instead of just wandering to Galatoire's and back
to the Monteleone).  However, it would not be the whole truth if I
didn't say that I, too, shared in your lack of immediate comfort.  My
sweet wife (non-Leica lover that she is), God bless her, was bored to
tears!

I wish that there was a way to attract more young folks to the group.
Perhaps there are younger members who don't come to meetings.  I don't
know.  Either way, I'll stick around to try and attract photographers,
hobbiests, etc. with whom I have contact.  Granted, you don't run into
a Leica user everyday in my part of the world but they are there.  Some
are even on this list.

So, I don't have an answer for the problem.  But I do recognize the
fact that it is there.  LHSA is an older group.  I hope, though, that
it sticks around for while.

Madge, my check's in the mail.

Frank Farmer
Jackson, Miss.