Subject: [Leica] M8 & Infrared //Erwin Puts article on the subject
From: len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier)
Date: Sat Nov 25 07:10:24 2006

Simon,

I don't think Edwin's comments or M8 evaluations exactly address what
Jim Christie asked.

First off, using a RF camera like the Leica M is easier than with a
SLR. The IR filter can stay on the lens without obstructing the view
of the scene. IR film is more sensitive than a digital sensor so hand
holding the camera is more of a possibility with film. With the
digital SLR you need to either frame and focus the scene with the
camera on a tripod and with the filer removed, or prefocus and use an
external viewfinder with the filter on.

IR sensitivity of current digital cameras can vary from so so to not
at all (Nikon D200). In order to take images at all one must set the
ISO very high (800 or higher), hope you get an image at all  and live
with the resulting grain. The resulting image must then be converted
to monochrome or desaturated and the contrast increased for
acceptable IR photos.

Henning shared an IR photo with us that was taken with an M8,
handheld and at a lower ISO than what can generally be taken with the
current digital cameras. It was a beautiful image, sharp, very good
depth of field and lower grain than what I normally see from film. I
may be wrong but from memory I believe it was taken at ISO 640 (or
so). The short answer to Jim's question is YES.

Len