Subject: [Leica] M8 & Infrared //Erwin Puts article on the subject
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Sat Nov 25 10:21:15 2006

At 10:10 AM -0500 11/25/06, Leonard Taupier wrote:
>Simon,
>
>I don't think Edwin's comments or M8 evaluations exactly address
>what Jim Christie asked.
>
>First off, using a RF camera like the Leica M is easier than with a
>SLR. The IR filter can stay on the lens without obstructing the view
>of the scene. IR film is more sensitive than a digital sensor so
>hand holding the camera is more of a possibility with film. With the
>digital SLR you need to either frame and focus the scene with the
>camera on a tripod and with the filer removed, or prefocus and use
>an external viewfinder with the filter on.
>
>IR sensitivity of current digital cameras can vary from so so to not
>at all (Nikon D200).

Actually I found the IR sensitivity of the M8 to be not much
different and possibly even greater than that of Kodak HIE, the most
common high sensitivity film. The shot I showed was handheld at
f/8-11 at 1/30 sec at 1250 ISO with an 87 filter. With Kodak HIE
you'd be a couple of stops down with an 87 filter. With an 89b filter
the sensitivity of the M8 was similar to that of HIE, but at the
longer wavelengths that the 87 passes the M8 was more sensitive.

It's a little bit hard to compare because the spectral responses are
different at different wavelengths, and also I didnt't really have
enough time to do a thorough job. Most of my time with it was just
taking pictures and trying things out to see if it met my
expectations. Which it did, and more.