Subject: [Leica] Jessops Classics - News (and strange M8 pricing)
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sun Nov 26 00:13:53 2006

It is strange to hear that Jessops is suffering from low margins (must
be too many locations in expensive places), because in general prices in
the UK are higher than elsewhere; for example, the list price of the M8
is 2990 GBP, which today equals 4413 EUR. In the Netherlands and
Germany, the price is 4200 EUR. Not a huge difference in this case, but
still over 200 EUR, and difficult to justify since UK VAT is actually
lower than Dutch VAT (17.5% vs. 19%). No wonder people in the UK shop
online...

The US price of $4800 is equivalent to 3665 EUR at today's exchange
rate, but of course prices in the US are quoted without sales tax. If I
add the NY sales tax to B&H's price and convert into EUR, then it works
out to 3972 EUR, still a couple of hundred below the European price. I
guess this reflects the more competitive US market.

The cheapest way to buy an M8 appears to be that available to our Swiss
LUGgers: they can order one from a shop, say, in the Netherlands, and
pay the VAT-free price of 3529 EUR or so. Shipping would not be hugely
expensive, although of course the Swiss authorities may want to collect
their 7.6% VAT from you...although when I lived in Switzerland and was
buying stuff in the EU, I sometimes found ways to forget that last bit ;-)

Nathan

--
Nathan Wajsman
Almere, The Netherlands