Subject: [Leica] But I'm not ready!!!!
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Mon Nov 27 11:58:04 2006

At 10:39 AM -0700 11/27/06, GREG LORENZO wrote:
>Klein, Peter A writes in part:
>
>>  Hoppy:  Too much information. Thank you for sharing.   :-)  In our
>>  defense (defence), in Seattle we don't have common spiders with the
>>  toxicity of cobras, and we can swim in creeks without being eaten
>>  by a croc.
>
>Especially like the fact there are no snakes that are afraid of snakes.
>
>>  And then there are the people next to me at a traffic light who spin
>>  their wheels to get going, and slide horizontally towards me. . .
>>
>>  Greg, I'm sure the syndrome is the same in Vancouver, and that it
>>  thoroughly amuses the less temperate parts of Canada.
>
>Made the national news as predicted last night. What no traction? Floor it!
>
>Fun to watch unless someone gets hurt.

Here in Vancouver we had about 8 to 10 inches. Lots of things don't work
today.

A large part of the problem is that that basic
design of streets and byways don't take snow into
account. So when snow falls, slopes are too steep
and roads too narrow often to be useable. Also,
the city really doesn't have snowplows. It has
some general duty trucks that a blade can be
attached to, but that's not quite the same, and
there are too few.

Then there's the type of snow. I grew up in
northern Albera, and when it snowed it was
generally a lot colder than when it snows in
Vancouver. When snow is falling at -15 or 25?C,
it blows around a bit and then gets packed, but
traction is actually very good. When you drive on
packed snow or ice at -50?, it's not a whole lot
slipperier than pavement.

In Vancouver (and Seattle) when it snows it's
usually between 3 or 4?C above and  zero, so it
comes down and melts for a bit, then as it gets
slushier, enough insulation builds up so that it
stays as snow on top, but the bottom is still
slush. If that builds up to 10 inches like today,
it's super slippery. Today its colder, so the
slush will become ice with fairly wet snow on
top. About as slippery as it gets.

So: a big dump of snow, steep hills and narrow
streets, everything right around zero, and a
populace that only drives in snow an average of a
couple of days a year and therefore gets no
experience nor prepares their cars properly, and
you have a mess.

BTW, when I drove in Edmonton and the first snow
arrived, if it was a big dump and close to zero
things were nutty as well until people relearned
their snow driving skills.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design