Subject: [Leica] Re: Retirement
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Mon Nov 27 15:12:06 2006

On Nov 27, 2006, at 5:43 PM, Vick wrote:

> How many here are retired?
>
> How many are happier after retirement than when you were working?
>
> Regardless whether you are retired or not, what do you do to make
> funds for
> those additional Leica purchases?

I retired in 1995. The first year after retirement was a ball. It was
like a long vacation. We bought a boat in Florida and sailed it up
the Atlantic seaboard to Maine. The second year my wife got tired of
me hanging around the house and suggested that I find some way to
actually look like I was working. I got a chance to be a Visiting
Professor at the Univ. of Wales and we moved there for a couple of
years. Next was a Fulbright Professorship at the Univ. of Delhi. We
moved to India for a couple of years more. Finally we returned home
to find the trees had grown another three feet and the lawn was taken
over by a herd of whitetailed deer. The last couple of years, I have
accepted that retirement means doing less - and I've learned to love
it. As for buying new Leica equipment, the last new Leica film camera
I bought was a CL in 1974. Most of my Leica gear is almost as old as
I am. I did buy a Digilux digital a few years back but it crapped out
on me. The film cameras are still going strong. Vick, just wait until
a few more of us old farts die and you will be able to pick up M
series cameras and lenses cheap. The kids have no interest in film.
It's too hard to show the pictures on your iPod.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] Re: Retirement)