Subject: [Leica] RE: OT: How many here are retired? How many are happier now (etc)?
From: telyt at telus.net (David Young)
Date: Tue Nov 28 13:35:32 2006

At 28/11/2006, you wrote:
>I became self-unemployed in 1990, but with a twist. A divorce
>folllowed eight years later, and now I'm free as a bird...and happy, too.
>      I indulge my passion for camera goodies by watching my pennies
> and occasionally selling a piece of equipment when I find I have
> more stuff  than I need.
>      The only negative thing about retirement is that one finds
> oneself unable to leap tall buildings with a single bound, as was
> possible during one's younger days.
>   Hank Kellner (71)
>
>Oliver Bryk <oliverbryk@comcast.net> wrote:
>   Since I do not receive a pension from any previous employment I do not
>consider myself "retired"; I am just not being paid anymore. I was
>self-employed for many years; now I am self-unemployed.
>Because of the then prevailing rules regarding Social Security I did not
>give up working for pay until I reached age 70. About a week later I said to
>my wife, "I wish I could have quit ten years ago." She agreed. Almost all of
>the wives among our friends have said that their husbands became human
>beings only after they quit working.
>I am most certainly happier now.
>Oliver (78)

I have to agree with Oliver.  I was self-employed for 30 years, with
no pension. Still, I was able to quit working some 9 years ago, at
age 51.  I cut a number of years off my working life, so I've likely
made a lot less money than I might have.  Buy my outlook on life is
better, and life is so much more enjoyable, that I would not have it
any other way.

I have to watch my pennies for Leica gear, and buy most of it used,
for that reason.

Next spring, I'll get to join the "cheque of the month" club, and
that will go into my "goodie & travel" fund!

Cheers!

David (feeling human) Young.

---

David Young,