Subject: [Leica] explain Avedon light
From: durling at cox.net (Mike Durling)
Date: Tue Dec 5 16:58:42 2006

I usually enjoy Avedon's work.  I'm not crazy about the deadpan
portraits, but I like the fashion stuff.

Lighting-wise it always looks like he uses a single large and high light
source, something that would simulate a big window up over his shoulder.
  I suspect it is a big softbox like one of these:
http://www.chimeralighting.com/products/dspproduct.cfm?productid=7

If it were large enough he wouldn't need any fill light to soften the
shadows, and that's what it looks like.  There might be something to
bring up the background too.

Because the background is usually white or light gray I don't think he
needs a backlight.

Hope this helps,

Mike D