Subject: [Leica] Re: High ISOs Comparison
From: rsphotoimages at comcast.net (Bob Shaw)
Date: Thu Dec 7 18:21:57 2006

Peter:

Here's a sudden example (just picked the disc up this afternoon
(Thursday 12/7):

One roll of  Ilford XP-2 super 400 36 exp (Chromogenic Black and White
for C-41 machines) cost $ 3.25 to develop and scan 36 images to disc.

I loaded the CD onto my Mac (iPhoto) and picked one image at random.
Here are the stats on this B&W Scan:
      JPEG  3.6Mb 96 dpi  2724x1819 Pixels

So the range for the B&W images are between 3.5 a 3.8Mb per JPEG.
Color would of course be more.

Just for giggles, I dumped it into Photoshop Elements 4.0 for Mac,
adjusted the contrast and saturation to my "viewfinder memory" of the
shot, and printed it on Epson Enhanced mate 8.5 x 11 Archival Paper.
Made a very nice 8x10 portrait of our Border Collie - lots of eye
detail, whiskers easing back in to nice bokeh (R Vario Elmarit 28-80 at
f4.0 and Metz 54 bouncved off the ceiling to enhance daylight through
the widow behind me.

I've had similar result at 8x10 with my better color scan.  Prints of
the negs would of course be better.  If you want to see this particular
image, email me at rsphotoimages@comcast.net.

Regards,

Bob