Subject: [Leica] help urgent lens advice needed
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Sun Dec 10 22:24:55 2006

Folks I am looking to buy the 50 asph for my M7. These things are not
exactly thick on the ground around these parts (and my dealer
is 1000 miles away).
My dealer can source a new black chrome from the distributor at a
significant discount, being their only new stock right now. I'm
not sure until the dealer receives the stock but suspect that it is un-coded.
I know that makes no difference at all on my M7 and I suspect little on the
M8. Would anyone like to hazard an opinion whether the
built in coding is likely to make the lens more valuable/attractive some
years down the track.
The other options are a demo chrome. Optically of course the same but I
think less desirable again in the future perhaps.
The fly in the ointment is that they also have the black lacquer LHSA
version as a demo, offered for about 10% less than the new
standard version. Anyone with experience with this one. I think it uses 43mm
filter/hood? What about the quality of the finish?
Now I know the glass is the same, but I actually like the thought of the
focusing tab and locking small hood on the standard
version. Still I would think some rarity component in this one.

AAAGH, someone advise me.
Cheers
Hoppy

Replies: Reply from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] help urgent lens advice needed)