Subject: [Leica] OT: Garlic
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Mon Dec 11 02:23:17 2006

I know that chewing cardamom seeds gets rid of the smell - but whether
they work internally I'm not sure.
I used to eat loads of garlic in Greek, Italian, Indian and North
African food, but I too find it now plays havoc with my innards. However
I've found that Wood Garlic, Bear's Garlic, aka Jack by the Hedge -
probably a thousand other local/regional names too  - so here's the
Latin name: Allium Ursinum, makes a good and safe alternative, at least
in salads.
For getting the flavour without the internal backlash, another trick is
to press your cloves of garlic in salt and then use the salt for
cooking. BTW - DON'T use a garlic press - If you are going to put whole
cloves in your food then just squash them lightly with the blade of a
knife.
Another , for me at least, palatable way of preparing Garlic is to put
whole Garlic (not separate cloves) in an earthenware pot on a
finger-thick layer of sea-salt, then fill up the spaces with more salt
and bake the whole thing slowly in a moderate oven for  two to three hours.
Must stop now - I'm getting hungry.
Douglas

Jim Hemenway wrote:
> Try lighting a match:
>   or: http://tinyurl.com/ybe4m4
>   or: http://tinyurl.com/y74sxg
>
> Peter Klein wrote:
>
>> Larry's garlic/mayo recipe brings up a question. The LUG is a font of
>> all sorts of information, perhaps somebody here has "been there, done
>> that," and has a solution.
>>
>> I love garlic.  But it no longer loves me.  In recent years, I have
>> found that I have middle-aged out of the ability to eat raw garlic or
>> onions without, shall we say, some uncomfortable gastric backlash a
>> couple of hours afterward.  I'm now finding that about half the time,
>> cooked garlic has the same effect--be it roasted cloves of garlic
>> brushed with olive oil (yum!), or even dishes with lots of minced
>> garlic in them.
>>
>> Is there something I can eat--with, before or after the garlic--that
>> will mitigate the nasty side effect?  There are some health benefits
>> to "the stinking rose." Besides, I like the stuff, I'm married to a
>> lady from the Former Soviet Union, and count several Russians among
>> my friends.
>>
>> --Peter
>>
>> At 02:05 PM 12/9/2006 -0800, Lawrence Zeitlin <lrzeitlin@optonline.net>
>>
>>> The sole silver lining of this experiment was that the Unilever cooks
>>> came up with an excellent formula for aioli mayonnaise that will blow
>>> away the taste buds of garlic lovers. It can be made in a blender
>>> too. Here it is:
>>>
>>> 6 large peeled cloves of garlic. If you really love garlic you can
>>> use more.
>>> 1 large egg
>>> 1 tsp. powdered mustard. I use Colemans but any good brand will do.
>>> 1 tsp. salt.
>>> 1 dash cayenne pepper.
>>> 3 tbs. fresh lemon juice.