Subject: [Leica] Focomat IIc experts?
From: tkr at puffball.demon.co.uk (Tim Rylance)
Date: Mon Dec 11 03:51:47 2006

Vick Ko asked:
> 1.  did the gray IIc come without the triangular enlargement indicator,
> that
> was mounted to the rear left side of the triangular arms?
> I am told that this came only with the color version of the grey IIc, and
> had the filter drawer.

The "transillumated enlargement scale" was available separately, or you
could buy a "Focomat IIc colour" with the enlargement scale and the
filter drawer.

I have a 1963 Leica UK price list which lists the Focomat IIc at 351
pounds 11 shillings and 6 pence, the enlargement scale at 11 pounds 12
shillings and 6 pence, and the filter drawer at 5 pounds and 16
shillings.  The colour IIc is not listed.  The IIc was expensive: an M3
body was 121 pounds 19 shillings and 6 pence and an M2 body was 103
pounds 13 shillings and 2 pence.

The enlargement scale is described in the 1957 brochure for the IIc, so
it predates the grey IIc by 20 years or more.

I have a grey IIc without the enlargement scale.
> 2.  on the IIc negative carrier, I have one with an aluminum non-glass
> base.
> Is the top of this carrier supposed to be anti-Newton ring glass?

The standard negative carrier for 120 film has anti-newton glass on top
and plain glass on the bottom.  There is also a 24 x 36 mm negative
carrier with anti-newton glass on top and an aluminium plate with a 24 x
36 aperture on the bottom.  The aluminium plate has two pins at the back
to locate the film edge, and the anti-newton glass has holes to clear
the pins.

Replacement anti-newton glass is very hard to find. It comes up on ebay
even less often than complete negative carriers.  Glenn Evans, who
offers Focomat bits for staggering prices at
http://www.glennview.com/leitz.htm, says
> Multicoated, colorless glass for Leitz Focomat IIc negative carriers,
> upper and lower set of 2 glasses, NEW, $300. Ron wisner wrote in a
> darkroom techniques magazine that multicoated glass worked well as
> anti-Newtonring glass. I am all sold out of original Leitz replacement
> glass for Focomat IIc 6X9cm negative carriers and I am unlikely to be
> able to get any more. This is your best option.
With a little patience you can probably pick up a complete IIc for $300,
so I would not agree with the final sentence!

Tim Rylance, Bath UK