Subject: [Leica] OT: Calligraphy
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Mon Dec 11 11:25:42 2006

At the most basic: Composition, proportion, balance, and liveliness.
At the next level: Does the energy and the proportion of the strokes
relate to, enhance, and/or strengthen what is being said. Of course
here is where it gets tough because, in most cases, we may not know
what it says. In which case we're back to simply appreciating the
graphic beauty and strength of the characters. Western calligraphy
would have the same criteria.

Huge amount of information is available on the web relating to both
eastern and western calligraphy and of course classic texts and new
ones coming out all the time. One of the many that I've enjoyed:

Zen Brushwork: Focusing the Mind with Calligraphy and Painting
(Paperback)
by Tanchu Terayama

<http://www.amazon.com/Zen-Brushwork-Focusing-Calligraphy-Painting/dp/
4770029446/sr=8-1/qid=1165864524/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-6504369-3400857?
ie=UTF8&s=books>

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george@imagist.com