Subject: [Leica] Re: Wi-fi and Bluetooth
From: len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier)
Date: Wed Dec 13 06:31:38 2006

Lets make things a little simpler.

1. If you have only 1 computer and a cable or DSL modem you don't
need a router. Just connect your computer to the modem via ethernet
cable.

2. If you have more than 1 computer at nearly the same location you
will need a router to connect to both computers. The router then
connects to the modem, all via ethernet cable.

3. If you have more than 1 computer located in other rooms or on a
different floor, the preferred interface would be  to go wireless and
create a local area network. This consists of a router that connects
to the modem via ethernet cable and to the various computers via
wireless 802.11G (or older B) wireless cards.

In my home I have 2 Apple computers, 1 Windows computer and a laptop
connected wireless to my cable modem. When my son visits he has
802.11G built into his powerbook. As soon as he turns it on he's
connected to my network.

4. Bluetooth is a short distance protocol used to connect accessories
to larger devices. The wireless headset connects to my cell phone via
Bluetooth. My wireless mouse and keyboard connect to my iMac via
Bluetooth.

Len Taupier
RF Design Manager
Motorola Inc.