Subject: [Leica] Jumping runner cropped and a couple of other shots
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri Dec 15 20:07:11 2006

Larry showed:

===========================
>  Ok, so I did an extreme crop job on the jumping runner. I can't quite get
> rid of
> blue jacket in the low left part of the frame.<<<<

Larry I don't think you need crop anymore as the blue guy is not as
distracting as original. it's also a tough crop to make a decent photo out
of it.

Although I know some sport editor's who would make this into a 1 column
published photo. Now think how wide 1 column is in a newspaper, so it's not
going to be very impressive no matter how well cropped it is.

>> I also uploaded a couple of other shots, one of shoes and one of the
>> massed start.
> > http://web.mac.com/mac.hive/iWeb/Site/Race.html<<<<

The shoes might be a better picture with a longer lens and you kneeling on
the ground, maybe? I think the contrasts are too much.

The mass start group?

I'd have got one off quickly like this or somewhat similar then switched
shutter speed to maybe a 1/4 sec and shot as they all lurched a head on the
go signal.

This slow shutter speed would've given a blurred action motion as though
they took off like a rocket launch. And I'd have exposed for the lower part
of the frame opening it up for better viewing.

So you blow out the background so what? It isn't relevant any way. But the
details of them looking at their stop watch is.

>>P.S. I hope you weathered this storm ok...<<<

Oh it was some wild about 330 am. :-( But we lost electric power until about
noon today, so it wasn't that bad for us. Others? OUCH BIG TIME! :-(

ted