Subject: [Leica] Re: Replacement LTM Leica
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Mon Dec 18 19:28:41 2006

On Dec 18, 2006, at 8:12 PM, Len wrote:

> I'm looking for a little advise on a replacement LTM body. I
> currently have
> a "user" IIIc body with a yellowing rangefinder. I know the shutter
> needs
> cleaning but I don't think the body is nice enough to invest in a
> CLA. I
> have 4 very nice Leica LTM lenses which I use with a clear VIOOH
> viewfinder.
> I was thinking about investing in a nice IIIg. Since I don't expect
> to use
> flash with this rig and I like my VIOOH, is a IIIG overkill?

I'll concur with the other Luggers on foregoing the IIIG. Unless you
are a real collector, the price is too high and the picture taking
capabilities are no better than the IIIC  or IIIF. But here is
another piece of advice. The price of Leica III cameras is directly
related to the amount of Vulcanite still adhering to the bodies. If
you can find a IIIC or IIIF in good mechanical condition with the
Vulcanite flaked off, the price will be substantially lower than an
equivalent camera of nicer appearance. You may be lucky and find a
late model IIIF (serial number in the 7xxxxx series) that looks tatty
for a price in the $200 range.

You can recover the camera for about $2 with 3M safety tread material
available at any hardware store. It will look as good as new and
handle better. I posted some directions on how to do it about a year
or so ago. If anyone is interested I can send the information (with
pictures) by e-mail.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier) ([Leica] Re: Replacement LTM Leica)