Subject: [Leica] the Canon Noctilux...
From: nickbroberts at yahoo.co.uk (Nick Roberts)
Date: Wed Dec 20 01:09:26 2006

I've got 3 Canon 50s - the f1.8 Mk II (my second copy, the first fell apart
when trying to get a shot of a timber rattlesnake in the White Mountains,
which says all you need to know about it), the 50mm f2.5 Compact Macro and
the f1.4. Optically and in build quality, the f2.5 is the best, but it's
slow not just in aperture terms, but in focus speed too . The 1.4 is faster
on both counts, and is optically great from f2.8, but not that marvellous
wide open. And although it's fairly solid, it's not bombproof like the new
lens. Perfectly good enough for my needs, but then so is the Nokton on my M6
- I can't justify the better glass in either case - but Canon have been
acutely aware that many people can.

Nick