Subject: [Leica] IMG: Another Comparison
From: len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier)
Date: Wed Dec 20 07:17:22 2006

Hi Tina,

Even though the plane of sharp focus is different between the two
photos I don't think you have a focus problem. The candle bases of
the lit candles are sharp and the size of the flames from near to far
is about the same. It's my opinion that the sensor and associated
electronics of the M8 has less dynamic range than the D5 causing more
blow out. To prove out the theory what I would do is photograph a
point of light like a candle with both cameras while running through
successive stops of under exposure to see where the light begins to
take shape. I never though of this test until I saw your photo
comparison.

Len